Monday, March 19, 2012

Let's Do Something to Stop Slavery In Mauritania... 03.19.2012


{images source: CNN}

A


s I perused CNN.com this morning, I was quite saddened by this story. It is the story of slavery in the country of Mauritania. It is an African country located in the Sahara Desert. To be honest, I'd never even heard of this country. I'm sure I've seen it on a map somewhere, but never put any thought into it.  But, after reading this story, I will not soon forget it.  The horrible treatment that women, children and men, held captive by slaveholders, endure is heart wrenching and unspeakable.  When did our world become one in which people read this and turn their backs? I strongly feel that we cannot turn our backs on stories such as these because it is "not our country" or "not our problem." Human suffering is everyone's problem and should be everyone's concern. People are people. Babies are babies. Anywhere you are in the world. What can we do?

Well, I thought about that right away and searched for it on the CNN website.  The very first thing you can do is read the article by clicking here. The entire thing. And watch the videos within the article itself. Being informed about a cause is the first step.  Then you can either donate to the different organizations mentioned by CNN or you can Tweet/Facebook or blog about the cause. Your choice! The worst thing you can do is to do nothing at all.  Just hit Tweet or Facebook at the bottom of this blog post and done! Make your voice count. Make it powerful. Let it be heard. Let's speak for those who cannot. I thank you for taking the time to read this!

xoxo,
Mina

P.S. If you blog about this cause... share your blog post link in the comments section! I'd love to read it!!


{images source: CNN}

1 comment:

Brad A Richardson said...

The information that you've provided here is essential to raising awareness and fostering change. It is important to broadcast the situation that exists in Mauritania and I believe that you've done an exceptional job bringing light to the issue. I posted about those suffering as slaves in the country and linked back here in the hopes of increasing knowledge and reaching out to the internet community. To find my post visit www.underfold.blogspot.com.